Monday, January 28, 2008

We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet.....

Last night was a sad night for me. I was flipping channels during a commercial break and stopped on a special news break--President Gordon B. Hinckley had passed away surrounded by his family in his SLC apartment at approximately 7pm. I felt an overwhelming sadness as I frantically searched for my cell phone to call my parents and let them know (they don't do the TV thing on Sundays). After I hung up the phone, I just looked at Phil and wanted to cry. On one hand--I'm so happy for him that he is with his beloved wife. You could tell how much he missed her. On the other, I truly felt a love for this wonderful, lovely old man who has been in leadership of our church since the 60's and a great sense of loss for his leaving this earth. He had been the prophet my entire adult life to this point and it's very sad for me to realize that he is gone. He had such a wonderful spirit about him and I will miss that.

1 comment:

Cami said...

In her bedtime prayer last night, Kate blessed President Hinckley to be happy, and also blessed his family to not be sad that he "got dead."