Monday, May 25, 2009

Introspective on turning 31.........

So I'm 31 today........officially in like 7 hours or so...and I've been thinking a LOT about turning 31. I wondered how I would feel at 31. Where I would be--WHO I would be.

23 was a bad year for me. My best friend got hitched and left me all alone while she headed to Santa land (it's ok Mel--I still love you 8 years later) It was a bad year for Depeche Mode. Seriously--have you heard "Exciter"?? Not one of their better albums. It was so bad that their tour that year was mainly a "Greatest Hits" tour with a few (meaning like 3 or less) songs from Exciter thrown in. I learned that men suck. At least 31 year old single men living in the Seattle, WA area do. A HA!! A clue....

I re-visited that lesson at 26 except that it now included 31 year old men living in the Phoenix area. (and no--for whatever reason I liked my relationships "geographically challenged")

I wondered if I could skip 31 and go straight to 32. 31 just seemed to be a bad omen.

And I've come to the conclusion that 31 is NOT a bad thing. Yes I know-I had horrible taste in men (which I have also concluded it's because they weren't really men they were stuck at being teenagers at heart and actions) I'm happy at 31. I've got a fabulous husband. A wonderful daughter who is the reason I get up every morning (no really--she is. She's not old enough to get her own cereal yet. LOL!) I'm starting a kick A job (who doesn't like flying for free?) I've got the worlds best friends who accept the freak show that I am and love me inspite of it. My parents are still alive and spoiling the above mentioned child.

I feel bad that I feared 31 for so long. Bring it! I can take it....



except for those grey hairs I see in the mirror every morning. Curse those genes!

4 comments:

Maria said...

Happy Birthday!!! Did I talk to you on your birthday and not know it? I can't wait to take Isis's pictures again...and in the orchard... the wheels have been turning ever since we talked!

Anyway... Happy birthday!

Strawberry Shortcake said...

Sorry it took me so long to get on here. 31 was great for me... well, minus the annual birthday cry I have. At 31 I had my third baby and moved away from the frozen north. 31 for single men might be bad, but it wasn't just the age... I bet they are still awful now too. It's just them :) Happy Birthday and I hope your 31st year is wonderful :)

Amy said...

I love your comment about your little lady being your reason for getting up each morning. If it weren't for my kids I would loooooove to lazily hang out in bed every morning. No dice. Maybe 20 years from now?

Wonder Woman said...

I hope you had a good brithday! I like your recap.

And don't feel bad about the gray hairs. My husband has had them since he was 25.